During my research, it soon became clear that although a number of people were carrying out research around the area of Ambisonic surround sound, few people were enabling others to actually use the technique!
To hopefully help remedy this situation, I’ve created a number of VST Plugins that can be used in many Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). Screencast tutorials can be found on the on the Teaching page of this site which shows you ways of using these plug-ins in Reaper. I recommend setting up the project using hierarchical routing, as shown in one of the later videos, but manual routing works too (as shown in the earlier ones).
The plug-ins are available for Mac and PC, and can be downloaded below. The plugins are free to use for personal and educational use. If you’re using them for commercial work, please contact me, as it’s nice to know when and how my software is being used (a credit would also be nice, and donations are always welcome!)
Major Update: AmbiX versions now available!
My original plug-ins pre-dated the AmbiX standard which is now widely used, and so I’ve finally updated my plugins to support this standard. 3D panners are available, which support both distance filtering, ‘W panning’ and Near Field Compensation, a 3D reverb and a number of decoders are also available for use. The panners and reverb are VST2 plugins, whereas the decoders are all JSFX (text files for use in Reaper). If you need a different speaker layout, do let me know!
2nd Feb, 2022 – 1.02 Fixed 3rd order distance filter glitching (Mac/PC) and gfx issue (Mac)
3rd Feb, 2022 – 1.03 Fixed four letter codes to make them unique across my plugins…important for Plogue Bidule
14th March, 2022 – Stand alone UHJ plugin updated to fix FuMa gain bug. AmbiX decoders JS effects now include fixed UHJ decoder/transcoder.
The folder JSFX plugins need to be put in is (Mac)
Put different downloads into a different folder inside WigWare (one for UHJ and one for Decoders, for example). They will co-exist in the same folder quite happily, but the .inc file in the newer UHJ download needs to overwrite the one that comes with the AmbiX decoders, if you want them all in the same folder.
- Mac VST AmbiX Ambisonic Panner/Reverb VST Plugins (273 downloads)
- PC VST AmbiX Ambisonic Panner/Reverb VSTs (276 downloads)
- Reaper JSFX AmbiX Decoders (331 downloads)
- Reaper JSFX UHJ Decoder/Transcoder (208 downloads)
- WigWare Multi-Channel VU Meter (this now ships with Reaper!)
- WigWare AmbiX, FuMa and TBE Tools (convert between FuMa, AmbiX, TBE and N3D Ambisonics – UPDATED Sept. 2017 for Spatial Audio Workstation V2.2)
- Inverse Filter for YouTube 1st Order Spatial Audio
- Inverse Filter for YouTube Spatial Audio Created Directly from Google Thrive IRs
Older software/versions (in case you ever need it)
FuMa Mac and PC, 32 and 64-bit WigWare Plug-ins
- Mac 1st Order WigWare 32 and 64 Bit Plug-ins (4336 downloads)
- Mac Higher Order WigWare 32 and 64 Bit Plug-ins (3977 downloads)
- PC 1st and Higher Order WigWare 64 Bit Plug-ins (5338 downloads)
- PC 1st and Higher Order WigWare 32 Bit Plug-ins (2837 downloads)
- Mac 3rd Order 2D Octagon Decoder (1002 downloads)
Below are the downloads for the 32-bit only versions. I’ve kept them on the site in case any changes I’ve made to the 64-bit versions above (and new compiles etc.) have broken anything!
1st Order WigWare Mac (These have now been updated to work on Mac OSX 10.4 and 10.5)
- WigWare Ambisonics Decoders (Mac) (5059 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Panners (Mac) (4356 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Reverb (Mac) (4038 downloads)
1st Order WigWare PC
- WigWare Ambisonic Decoders (PC) (5966 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Panners (PC) (4392 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Reverb (PC) (4094 downloads)
Higher Order Ambisonics (HOA)
- WigWare 2nd Order Ambisonic Panners (PC) (2631 downloads)
- WigWare 3rd Order Ambisonic Panners (PC) (2582 downloads)
- WigWare 2nd Order Ambisonic Panners (Mac) (2691 downloads)
- WigWare 3rd Order Ambisonic Panners (Mac) (2602 downloads)
- WigWare Higher Order 5.0 Ambisonic Decoder (Mac) (2445 downloads)
- WigWare Higher Order 5.0 Ambisonic Decoder (PC) (2832 downloads)
DirectX (Windows Media Player et al.) Plug-ins
These plug-ins, when installed (look at the readme file!), will automatically be used in directx aware media players when a .AMB file is played. Choose the plug-in that best matches your speaker layout! (For more details on the file format, and how to create files of this type have a look here, here, here and here). These were created quite a while ago now, so let me know if you have any problems with them!
- Square Decoder (4 channels) (2020 downloads)
- ITU 5.0 Decoder (5 channels) (1860 downloads)
- Hexagon with a speaker directly in front (6 channels) (1600 downloads)
- Hexagon without a speaker directly in front (6 channels) (1682 downloads)
- Octagon with a speaker directly in front (8 channels) (1616 downloads)
- Octagon without a speaker directly in front (8 channels) (1701 downloads)
- 3D Cube (8 channels) (2386 downloads)