During my research, it soon became clear that although a number of people were carrying out research around the area of Ambisonic surround sound, few people were enabling others to actually use the technique!
To hopefully help remedy this situation, I’ve created a number of VST Plugins that can be used in many Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). Screencast tutorials can be found on the on the Teaching page of this site which shows you ways of using these plug-ins in Reaper. I recommend setting up the project using hierarchical routing, as shown in one of the later videos, but manual routing works too (as shown in the earlier ones).
The plug-ins are available for Mac and PC, and can be downloaded below. The plugins are free to use for personal and educational use. If you’re using them for commercial work, please contact me, as it’s nice to know when and how my software is being used (a credit would also be nice, and donations are always welcome!)
64-bit Versions of these plugins can now be found directly below. Some changes had to be made to compile these, so I’ve left the older on the page too! Any issues, let me know. The Mac plug-ins are now universal binary so will be picked up as 32-bit for 32 hosts and 64-bit for 64-bit hosts. The PC ones are separate downloads. Just keep them in separate directories for each type of host.
Latest Mac and PC, 32 and 64-bit WigWare Plug-ins
- Mac 1st Order WigWare 32 and 64 Bit Plug-ins (2774 downloads)
- Mac Higher Order WigWare 32 and 64 Bit Plug-ins (2612 downloads)
- PC 1st and Higher Order WigWare 64 Bit Plug-ins (3024 downloads)
- PC 1st and Higher Order WigWare 32 Bit Plug-ins (1893 downloads)
- Mac 3rd Order 2D Octagon Decoder (354 downloads)
- WigWare Multi-Channel VU Meter (this now ships with Reaper!)
- WigWare AmbiX, FuMa and TBE Tools (convert between FuMa, AmbiX, TBE and N3D Ambisonics – UPDATED Sept. 2017 for Spatial Audio Workstation V2.2)
- Inverse Filter for YouTube 1st Order Spatial Audio
- Inverse Filter for YouTube Spatial Audio Created Directly from Google Thrive IRs
Below are the downloads for the 32-bit only versions. I’ve kept them on the site in case any changes I’ve made to the 64-bit versions above (and new compiles etc.) have broken anything!
1st Order WigWare Mac (These have now been updated to work on Mac OSX 10.4 and 10.5)
- WigWare Ambisonics Decoders (Mac) (4343 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Panners (Mac) (3742 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Reverb (Mac) (3395 downloads)
1st Order WigWare PC
- WigWare Ambisonic Decoders (PC) (4622 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Panners (PC) (3829 downloads)
- WigWare Ambisonic Reverb (PC) (3370 downloads)
Higher Order Ambisonics (HOA)
- WigWare 2nd Order Ambisonic Panners (PC) (2106 downloads)
- WigWare 3rd Order Ambisonic Panners (PC) (2132 downloads)
- WigWare 2nd Order Ambisonic Panners (Mac) (2182 downloads)
- WigWare 3rd Order Ambisonic Panners (Mac) (2237 downloads)
- WigWare Higher Order 5.0 Ambisonic Decoder (Mac) (2022 downloads)
- WigWare Higher Order 5.0 Ambisonic Decoder (PC) (2067 downloads)
DirectX (Windows Media Player et al.) Plug-ins
These plug-ins, when installed (look at the readme file!), will automatically be used in directx aware media players when a .AMB file is played. Choose the plug-in that best matches your speaker layout! (For more details on the file format, and how to create files of this type have a look here, here, here and here). These were created quite a while ago now, so let me know if you have any problems with them!
Square Decoder (4 channels) (1599 downloads)
- ITU 5.0 Decoder (5 channels) (1460 downloads)
- Hexagon with a speaker directly in front (6 channels) (1269 downloads)
- Hexagon without a speaker directly in front (6 channels) (1221 downloads)
- Octagon with a speaker directly in front (8 channels) (1294 downloads)
- Octagon without a speaker directly in front (8 channels) (1293 downloads)
- 3D Cube (8 channels) (1941 downloads)
Encourage me to develop more Ambisonic plugins by clicking: