During my research, it soon became clear that although a number of people were carrying out research around the area of Ambisonic surround sound, few people were enabling others to actually use the technique!
To hopefully help remedy this situation, I’ve created a number of VST Plugins that can be used in many Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). I may put instructions on how to use them up here at some point, but in the meantime, tutorials can be found on the Ambisonics Music Creation grou.ps website that I’ve created to help support some of my teaching here at the University of Derby.
The plug-ins are available for Mac and PC, and can be downloaded below. The plugins are free to use for personal and educational use. If you’re using them for commercial work, please contact me, as it’s nice to know when and how my software is being used (a credit would also be nice, and donations are always welcome!)
1st Order WigWare Mac (These have now been updated to work on Mac OSX 10.4 and 10.5)
1st Order WigWare PC
Higher Order Ambisonics (HOA)
- WigWare 2nd Order Ambisonic Panners (PC)
- WigWare 3rd Order Ambisonic Panners (PC)
- WigWare 2nd Order Ambisonic Panners (Mac)
- WigWare 3rd Order Ambisonic Panners (Mac)
- …Decoders to follow…
DirectX (Windows Media Player et al.) Plug-ins
These plug-ins, when installed (look at the readme file!), will automatically be used in directx aware media players when a .AMB file is played. Choose the plug-in that best matches your speaker layout! (For more details on the file format, and how to create files of this type have a look here, here, here and here). These were created quite a while ago now, so let me know if you have any problems with them!
- Square Decoder (4 channels)
- ITU 5.0 Decoder (5 channels)
- Hexagon with a speaker directly in front (6 channels)
- Hexagon without a speaker directly in front (6 channels)
- Octagon with a speaker directly in front (8 channels)
- Octagon without a speaker directly in front (8 channels)
- 3D Cube (8 channels)
Encourage me to develop more Ambisonic plugins (and upgrade my 8 year old PC!) by clicking: